21 Suggestions for Success by H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.
- Work at something you enjoy and that's worthy of your time and talent.
- Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
- Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
- Be forgiving of yourself and others.
- Be generous.
- Have a grateful heart.
- Persistence, persistence, persistence.
- Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.
- Commit yourself to quality.
- Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
- Be loyal.
- Be honest.
- Be a self-starter.
- Be decisive even if it means you'll sometimes be wrong.
- Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
- Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did.
- Take good care of those you love.
- Don't do anything that wouldn't make your Mom proud.
What do you think? Do these ring true? I like number 2 and think this is a key for me. I strongly believe that we spend so much of our waking life at work that it should be something we enjoy and believe is worthy.
Number 19 is also one of my favourites and something I am trying to live by. If an opportunity presents itself and its safe, ask yourself why not rather than why should I. If it wasn't fabulous, laugh and move on. It may create a wonderful story. The alternative is a life full of what if's, and that doesn't sound successful or fulfilling to me.